Tuesday, March 29, 2011

It Really is my Real Life

I was looking forward to today, March 29, 2011.  It was to be my back to normal, relax at work (as much as one can), get back into a regular groove kind of day.  The last few weeks have been tough.  I spent 3 days at a conference, spoke at said conference (well-received by one man, Charlie, who is the nicest guy), prepped for the conference prior to going, got my school ready to do without me for 3 days, helped get ready for our big fund-raiser that happened while I was out, spent 3 days away from my 3-year-old for the first time, returned to prep for a retreat 2 days later that I would give presentation at and provide delicious cookies (the cookies are actually my favorite part of retreat.)  I followed up this professional nonsense with an awesome visit from my sister, her husband, and two small boys all staying in my 1300 square foot house with me, my daughter, and my 2 cats.  Lucky husband was in D.C.

The above list are all things that I very much wanted to do.  It was really just unfortunate that timing was off.  But, for the most part all went well up to and including the visit from my sister.  We dragged those kids (did I mention small children?) around San Francisco.  For future reference, small children do not think visiting prisons is "fun" or "family friendly"--well, honey-badger don't care...

So, my return to normal.  I went to work yesterday, Monday, even though family was still in town because I felt that I owed it to my boss to come in as I had missed some time recently for the conference and we have an upgrade project in the workds that NEEDED to be kicked off.  HAD to do it.  They were nice and let me go home early.  Again, I was so looking forward to today. 

My first sign that it wouldn't be a return to normal was that I was asked to sub two classes.  I didn't think anyting of it.  Happy to do it.  No problem.  I love subbing for art.  Our art teacher always shows the best movies, all very relevant, which is great, as well as entertaining.  I always learn something.  I got home and BOOM: The first bomb.  My normally semi-whiney child was super-whiney and my sister, while doing her best was probably seriously annoyed.  At least I would have been in her position.  I kissed my child--she was burning up!  YIPES!  Not a fever again?!  How many different antibiotics are there for toddlers?  I medicated and we got through the day and I hoped for her to be bright and chipper by today.

So, now I have committed to actually being on-site and must find some way to have said sick child taken care of.  My husband was willing but the pain that came with that wasn't something either of us wanted (he is also in the middle of a big project.)  So I began with my college-aged sitter.  She usually has time on Tuesdays.  It's looking possible that this will work out.

Then I checked my email.  Of course I had forgotten about agreeing to sub for the last 10 minutes of another teacher's class.  OK, so now I've over-committed to being on-site, and I have the project work, and I still have no committed care for the sick child who won't sleep.  And another email lets me know that one of the computers for the office staff died.  Just died.  No reason.  It's dead.  Can I fix it tomorrow morning.  Sure, right after pigs fly...

Of course, my timing doesn't work for the sitter.  Now I begin my plan of taking small, sick child with me.  I leave messages warning people that sick child will be with and that I will at some point have to take her to the dr.  After the last 3 pneumonia scares really can't take chances, can we?

This morning, my back to normal day, luck is on my side.  I manage to snag a dr appointment that fits my schedule (unheard of) AND my daycare provider finds someone to help me out in the afternoon.  Small child is highly entertained while I fix the dead computer, she's great at the Dr. (strep so not air communicated per medical personnel), and she watches Dora while I kick off the paperwork for our project.  Small child is actually excited to go and stay with Maria--she has her soon to be open daycare ready to go so there are lots of princess dresses and toys and she has them all to herself.  Fever is coming down.

Currently I am sitting in a dark classroom enjoying a film about a graffiti artist, Basquiat.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115632

Now I realize.  This is my life back to normal.  Everyday, in all ways, it is frustrating, funny, and even enjoyable.  And this is my real life....

No comments:

Post a Comment