Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Cloud

Frankly, I'm a history teacher.  Some might argue that I'm actually an English teacher and those who are really nit-picking will choose to call me and ESL teacher.  Yep.  OK.  But I actually liked teaching history.  It was interesting.  Which is odd beause, despite the fact that my U.S. history teacher was a very nice man (and my homeroom teacher) I thought that history class was boring.  U.S. History was probably better than World Studies.  Boy, that guy was NOT good.  I still have no idea what we did in either class.  I remember reading the book and answerie cng questions...but on to my topic.

Where I'm from a cloud is a white fluffy thing OR an angry thunderhead.  So now, we have "the cloud."  I like sunshine, but now, I head out to embrace the google cloud.  Why google?  Well, it's free.   Well, it's easy.  Seriously.  I will probably attenpt certification.  I'll let you know how that goes.  How hard can it be (unless they're crap test writers--c'mon we all know bad test writers...)
Why go to the cloud?  Well, since I'm not really sure why I want to do it myself, I'll just say, "money."  Money is often a good reason to choose a technology.  Really.  Especially if there have already been people who've tried out the technology and like it.  I'm sure that there are other ways to do what I want to do (get the students' docs, etc off of our servers) but this is the cheapest, least labor intensive, and, as previously noted, known working quantity.

I am already thinking of how the cloud can truly expand our curriculum.  How can we take our teaching to the next level.  I know how to do it.  Now, how do I force my vision in a way that others' think that it's their idea...

BTW: I passed the first Google Certification Exam.  I was a little disappointed at the large number of questions on a non-free part of the Apps that not everyone in Google Education uses.  Oh Well.  It's their test.

No comments:

Post a Comment