Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pressing Send

Wow, I did it.  I pressed send.  It's not as bad as it could be.  I mean, I once pressed send on an email to my boss that was pretty straightforward about my thoughts.  That was my "one."  I didn't get fired and we moved past it.

I love the stories of "..and then I pushed send..."  Everyone has one.  It's like asking people about pushing 'reply to all' instead of 'reply.'  Yep, I've done that too.  Although the outcome on that was pretty good.

I remember vividly being new to the school where I work and having my VERY new boss come to my office, bang on my door, and, in a pleading tone that I was to come to know well say, "Can I get an email back?!!  I shouldn't have pushed send!"  Well...depending upon a lot of things you can get an email back and THAT was the day that I learned how to do it on Outlook. 

As I said, my situation not politically messy.  It just really messed up my inbox.  All I wanted to do was send out an email to our staff of 30 people.  Because I need them to actually READ my email I attached a 'read receipt' to it.  Simple yes?  Controversial, no?  Except that I had sent the email originally to my aforementioned boss and another administrator to review.  It was titled: Trial Balloon. 

Of course, when there were no changes to be made I chose the expeditious path of forwarding the sent email.  I went through it, checked again for errors, made sure that I deleted all signs of it having been sent and reviewed by others....oh yeah, except for the 'FW: Trial Balloon'.

Well, I don't like emails to go out in such a fashion.  I should have left it, but NOOOOOO.  So, having noticed once I received about 3 read receipts how the email was titled (seriously, it looked stupid, really stupid) I decided to retrieve the unread emails and resend with another message. 

HOLY COW.  Now I have 'read receipts' from all 30 for the original message (5 read and 25 unread), 30 messages telling me whether or not the message was retrieved, and now, a few telling me that some people have read my new message.  Ironically, it sends the replacement message to the people who have already received and opened the original.

The beauty?  The same people who read the original have read the new message.  No one else...[sigh]

2 comments:

  1. The dreaded pressing "send" mistake. There have been huge feuds in my family because of an inadvertant "reply all" or an email written in anger. And oh, the texts I should never have sent. I really need to look at the calendar sometimes and then think "okay, wait a couple days and see if you're still this emotional." And when texting after scraping your knuckle open on a cheese grater, make damn sure those three highly personal texts are actually going to your best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my own experience, worse than send can be 'reply to all.' I hit this once when intending to send to my father and complain about one of his friends who sent me about (literally) 4-10 emails per day and whose email list would then 'reply to all' so that I had huge amounts of emails regarding stuff that I didn't care about from people that I barely knew or didn't know at all.

    Instead of merely forwarding it to my father with a comment, I replied to all. The emails stopped, so ultimately, a good thing.

    ReplyDelete